Friday 28 August 2009

Celebration

Soon it will be a time of celebration, at least, a time of celebration for those who love Malaysia truly, and not those who say they are Malaysian but keep complaining about this wonderful country.
I was born in Malaysia. I live in Malaysia and I love Malaysia. Unlike many others, I do not wish to go overseas and live there or study there even though I know I have the ability to do so. My friends always say it's a waste that I can afford to go overseas to study or even live there when I don't even want to do so. I know there are many people who are dissatisfied with Malaysia.

They say Malaysia is still a developing country and ought to be ashamed as Singapore who was once a part of Malaysia, is now a developed country. They think Singapore is better and that Malaysia is not up to par with Singapore.

I have nothing against Singapore or any other countries. I'm not an extremist, just someone who loves her country as much as her family. Since I was a kid my parents taught me to appreciate what I have, to appreciate my country and everything she has given to me.
Imagine if you lived in other war-ridden countries like Iraq or Palestine. Imagine if you lived in countries full of chaos everyday like Thailand. Imagine if you lived in poverty-stricken countries like Africa where children die everyday just because they're hungry.

We have everything we need here in Malaysia. Abundant food, water, shelter, great weather, no war. And yet, that's not enough for many people. No, we have to be strong and rich like America or Japan or Singapore, they say. Maybe Malaysia isn't that rich compared to those countries now, maybe we aren't that technologically advanced like America right now. To me, it doesn't matter. We will be better and stronger than them one day, I truly believe that. We don't have to be the country with the newest technology or the best military in the world to be great. We don't have to have fancy police squads with great forensics equipment or the latest espionage equipment. We have our own police and army which consist of brave men and women prepared to die for their country. Isn't that enough?

You might think my opinion childish, but I'll always hold true to my belief that Malaysia is the best country. She is my home. She gave me everything that I have now. She gave me a place to belong. I am proud to call myself Malaysian. I am proud to say that I come from Malaysia when I am abroad. I am proud and honoured to call her my home. She is my home, forever and always.

Happy 52nd Merdeka Malaysia. May you flourish as years go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.