Saturday 10 March 2012

Random, Yet Again

Finally got my ears pierced, after nearly a decade of my mother asking me to do so. Hurt like hell. Although that probably had to do with the fact that I am a major wuss when it comes to needles or piercing or injections.

Anyway.

I suddenly remembered a favourite TV show of mine, Xena: Warrior Princess. Anyone heard of it before? I watched it when I was just a kid and it was my absolute favourite, although I only watched the first few seasons. I watched Xena even before watching Digimon and Pokemon I think.

I remember thinking that she kicked major butt. I always liked her signature swinging of her sword before fighting, and those circular boomerang-like weapon that she used to throw and cut people and things. I can't remember very well if it was violent though, but I sure enjoyed the action. That goes to show that I was an aggressive person even when I was a kid.

But when I watched some of the videos on YouTube, I saw the sexual side of that show that I, thank goodness, did not watch when I was a kid. I thought Xena was a great role model; I didn't know she slept with so many men including Ares, Hercules, Caesar and others, just to name a few. Whew, thank goodness I missed out on that, or I would have been scarred for life.

Even so, there's a feeling akin to coming home when you take a look back at those television shows you watched as a kid. You sort of compare them to shows these days, and you find something lacking in the new shows, whether it was the hidden values within those shows, or maybe just that simple notion of good vs bad and good always wins. Nowadays, the line between good and bad is so thin, gray areas are getting larger and larger till you don't know what is good or bad.

Maybe Xena wasn't such a suitable show for a kid then, but it sure is so much more modest compared to other shows these days, and less complicated. Maybe that's a sign that a new era is coming, one that we have to adapt to, different from the one we knew and grew up with. Whatever it is, I just hope I'll be able to get through it as myself, and not forget everything that made me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.